Horses of all disciplines and abilities can benefit from physiotherapy, it is not just for elite competition horses. Physiotherapy can have a positive effect on any horse including those for used hacking right through to racing, eventing, show jumping and dressage.
Equine Physio Services work with a wide range of clients throughout Yorkshire including owners, trainers, riders and breeders on both an ad-hoc and retained basis. We have worked with over 700 + clients to date following veterinary referral.
Horses are similar to humans in that they compensate for pain by adapting their posture and gait which means physiological issues can go unnoticed. As an owner, trainer, rider or breeder it is important to recognize any behavioral changes which may be the horses’ way of communicating to you that they are in discomfort.
Common signs of discomfort in horses can include:
- Schooling issues such as: disunited canter, unable to achieve the correct canter lead, rushing, poor transitions, struggling to work in an outline or lack of bend.
- Decline in performance and refusing jumps
- Behavioural issues such as rearing, bucking and napping.
- Change in temperament
- Lack of gait symmetry and / or straightness.
- Loss of muscle / uneven muscular development.
- Head shaking
- Uneven shoe wear
- Saddle slipping
All horses and ponies will benefit from being pain free and having supple, symmetrical muscles and gait. It is good practice to book in for a routine physiotherapy even if your horse has no specific injury or issues presenting. Routine checks enable early detection and allows your animal to perform happily and to its optimum ability.